Thursday, February 07, 2008

I've been feeling a little homesick today - though I'm not sure where I locate that homesickness. I'm both homesick for Australia, but also for poetry. The scraps I've been writing feel like a salvation - and while I'm writing them, I feel like I'm creating something strong. It's that rapture of concentration. But I'm finding often I have trouble gaining perspective on what I've written, because somehow being in a different country, my poetry has a different life. I wrote a poem in short sections recently - I don't like to say fragments, because really they were each fully formed (as best I can currently do, that is) - and when I was discussing it with some people today, they told me (after some discussion) that they were confused by the word "dam": in the US, it doesn't refer to the gigantic, muddy puddles that I remember from home. "Oh, ditches," they said. Yet, the poem can't change. Can I be read here?

I've been remedying homesickness by reading Nicolas Rothwell's book Another Country. Even though I'm reading about Central Australia - because it's a place I've never been, instead in my head I'm thinking about the landscapes between Cowra and Dubbo - the parts of the "country" that I do know. But, too, it's teaching me about the regions that I haven't felt emotionally able to come at before: somehow the centre was always too vast. But now my absence is, I guess, vaster. I get so busy that it takes time for me to remember I need space to think about home.

A friend - Kevin Rabalais - is launching his first book, the novel The Landscape of Desire in Melbourne at the end of this month. I wish I could be there (I'm hoping to get a copy fairly soon after the launch, and perhaps I can spend part of the Easter weekend reading it. For those of you who are in Melbourne, the launch is on 28 February at The Avenue bookstore in Albert Park. The book is being launched by Alex Miller. I've known Kevin for a few years now, and I'm so excited to see his book becoming a reality. He and his partner Jennifer Levasseur are, among my friends, two of those most dedicated to the craft of writing.