Thursday, March 20, 2003

Have to get up early to get to the airport tomorrow for the flight. We're allowing a lot of time, since the war began tonight, and I'm a bit unsure what the airport will be like tomorrow. Repacked my bag for the first time tonight, with a little assistance from Cassie, without too much trouble.

The second Wednesyday Lunchtime Club meeting took place today, with Cassie making an honorary appearance at the table. We ate at David's, the Jewish delicatessen on Geary St again. Wandered around getting myself prepared for New York - or at least getting directions to get to my hostel using the subway tomorrow night. I'm still not quite sure what my plans are while I'm in New York. (Please send your suggestions on a piece of batter pudding.) A rough plan was to visit galleries in the mornings, and wander in the afternoons. We'll see how that pans out.

Have started - only just - Carson McCullers' "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter." Not very far into it, but thought the novel of a twenty-three year old literary star might help me get started on my own work. I love it as a way to start - "In the town there were two mutes, and they were always together." Such a beautiful, simple first sentence, and so evocative. I'm looking forward to reading it on the plane tomorrow.

Finally got around to listening to a little Joni Mitchell this afternoon, and that put me in mind of a few things I'll miss about San Francisco:

Listening to Joni Mitchell singing "California" on a drizzly evening.

Cheap Mexican & Salvadorean food in the Mission.

The masses of postcards everywhere I turn.

Sitting on a crate at City Lights, sneaking occasional glances at Lawrence Ferlinghetti.

Talking myself out of buying Fraggle Rock t-shirts on Haight Street.

Poetry swapping at a civilised hour, with a fabulous collection of food.

A sense of a history of political activism.

Robert Smithson's sculpture at the San Francisco MoMA, followed by homemade lemonade at the MoMA cafe.

The amazing farmers' market outside Embarcadero station.

Lime flavoured honey straws.

The amazing room and work going on at 826 Valencia.

Doing Oxygen at the Oxygen bar.

Chatting with Cassie at all hours.



San Francisco