Monday, March 24, 2003

Another branch of the New York public libraries (Midtown) and I've still go the problem of only half an hour to try and get things together in a vaguely coherent fashion. We'll see what happens.

Ok, I've been wearing a little hair clip since I was about six, acquired from I don't know where, that says "I love NY". It's true, though I was skeptical, after hearing P complain about the city. But what can I say - everyone's been quite lovely to me, they have cherry strudel and cherry pie everywhere, and the bagels are really cheap, and really good. Of course, the galleries are expensive, and I've been pushed a little over budget - so that I'm relieved tomorrow will bring me lunch with poets, to help me slow down after a rather frenetic experience. Another of those serendipities, Les Murray is in town, and meeting with Paul Kane for lunch tomorrow. I was meant to be meeting Paul on Wednesday, but just got the email asking to reschedule. I wonder if the reschedule qualifies as a one-day-off Wednesday lunchtime club meeting? (Though after meeting Michael Ondaatje I'm thinking of forming a "Thursday Coffee Club" - I think I'll just wait until after I've left the US. The coffee here is pretty ordinary - my only real disappointment.)

Saturday I went to the International Centre for Photography - got me a little inspired to take some pictures, as visiting galleries and museums always seems to. After browsing there, and finally buying a book of Nan Goldin's photography I've been looking for for 18 months (her series of photographs of empty interiors - beautiful) I hopped on the subway down to Bleeker St and had a good old wander in Greenwich Village.

Walked into the Old Village Gourmet, and "Brand New Key" by Melanie was playing. Fabulous. They have amazing looking cherry pies - I'm having one with my lunch today. I wanted to have it with "black coffee - and HOT" to make it a real Twin Peaks kind of thing, but have already expressed my views about the coffee so will move on.

I ate the most amazing icecream of my life, from a shop called "Cones" on Bleeker. "Artisans of fine icecream". Their dark chocolate icecream is like my amazing chocolate mousse, only icecream-ier.

Went up to Chelsea to hear Maxine Kumin read at the Dia Centre - another wonderful place. I found the reading almost by accident when flicking idly through the "Village Voice." Wouldn't have stumbled on the Dia Centre otherwise, but instantly fell in love. A bookshop and a gallery. Also wandered into a number of private galleries to see the most recent in the New York art scene - new work by Nan Goldin! Enormous prints, and a slide show in a little theatre out the back, with music by John Taverner and Bjork. It was surreal, just wandering in to find so many things I love just coming together.

Late that night I wandered across the Brooklyn Bridge - gorgeous. Annabel, a girl from Spain via New Orleans who's staying in my room at the hostel - and I are going to see a Billy Wilder film in Brooklyn tonight, so I might get to wander across the bridge again...

Yesterday spent the day frollicking in Central Park - listening to Beatles in Strawberry Fields - and at the Frick. My first real encounter with Vermeer's work "live" if you will. Had an interesting time looking at the disputed "Polish Rider" of maybe-maybe-not Rembrandt. Very much liked a series of portraits by Whistler. Ended up talking to one of the security guards about what he liked best - for him it was simply "the place." Like a museum of opulence, a nineteenth century 5th avenue lifestyle. I think I should get some blueprints and send them home, so we can start fixing up our place a little! After the Frick I returned to Central Park and played with a bunch of kids on the Alice in Wonderland sculpture. I was concerned that the March Hare seemed to be missing. Maybe he fell in the butter. (It was the best butter.)

And with that attempt to catch up, my time runs out. Remember:

"Speak roughly to your little boy
And beat him when he sneezes.
He only does it to annoy
Because he knows it teases."

New York.