Sunday, August 12, 2007

I think I've found the deal of the century - at Firehook bakery I've gotten a lovely lunch of Chickpea Lemon Salad for $2.07 with tax, and, what's more, am able to pick up some open wireless network or other for free. The salad is good - and healthy - and its only a stone's throw away from Kramerbooks. I'm planning a visit there next. But no buying! Well, not today at least.

I got into a long conversation yesterday at Starbucks by a lady who is 76 and living at a shelter. She had studied music at the University of Indiana when she was young (when I was doing music, that was my dream school - I fell in love with Donald Freund's music and wanted to study with him) and then Theology at the Catholic University in DC. She lived with the nuns at the Catholic U, and worked for years typing up theses and manuscripts. She was an interesting lady - we talked about John Donne and Herrick. It was disheartening to see her sitting there with all her belongings, not sure when she would find a permanent place to live.

The first house interview today: with a divorced Algerian epic poet. He seemed very gentle - and looked, I must admit, like an Algerian Woody Allen. I think he's not used to people knowing where Algeria is - he took some time describing its position. We chatted about poetic forms and rhythm, as well as despotic rulers.

I made it downtown - very briefly - today. First went to Chapters, in its new location. It was shut. Stared inside, and thought it looked pretty, but I like any book shop that displays novels and not diet books in the window. Kramerbooks will do nicely for now anyway. After staring forlornly into Chapters I wandered down to the mall, which wasn't like I'd imagined it. I suppose it'll need a bit of rain to stop looking so parched, and then I'll get in some more time there.

ITomorrow I've got to try to tackle some more of the administrative side of things - to pay Georgetown fees and set up a bank account. I still haven't decided on a bank.